First Fall Galette




I know I am a bit fig crazy, but our humongous tree is the happiest thing in our yard and it deserves some cooking love! I promise when the season is over, I'll stop with the fig recipes.
This recipe can be used with any fruit you have in abundance.

The crust:
(This adapted from my favorite cookbook, Alice Waters' Vegetables)
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 teaspoon sugar
(F
or my gluten-free friends, I used Pamela's Bread Mix and Flour Blend, as a substitute for all dry ingredients)
6 ounces unsalted butter, cold
1/3 cup ice water

Combine dry ingredients. Cut half of the butter into the dry mixture until it is the texture of cornmeal. Then lightly cut in the other half of the butter, leaving the dough with chunks of butter in various sizes. Gently fork in the ice water until the dough is evenly moist.
Separate the dough into 2 balls, cover in plastic wrap. Lightly knead through the plastic wrap until you have two even disks.
Refrigerate the dough for at least an hour before use.

When ready to make the galette, take one disk of dough from the fridge. Put the ball between 2 pieces of parchment paper (this makes the rolling process so much easier for novice bakers like me) and roll it out to an approximately 12" round.

Filling and topping:
8-10 ripe figs
1 Tbs melted butter
2 Tbs Turbinato sugar

Slice figs. Overlap the fig slices, in one dense layer, leaving 1 1/2 inches crust for the border. Then fold the edge of the crust over the fruit. Brush the crust with melted butter and sprinkle the crust and fruit with sugar.

Put assembled galette on a baking sheet. In a 400 degree oven, cook for 45-50 minutes until bottom is brown.

We added a little vanilla ice cream to the galette and it was delicious!

Serves 4








No comments:

Post a Comment

So good to hear from you... I appreciate each and every note you leave for me!

Thanks,
E