Cupcakes with Buttercream Frosting



I know. I know. It's December and everyone has holiday baking on the brain, but my girl turns 6 today and I am committed to enthusiastically celebrating her birthday despite its being smack dab in the middle of the holiday gauntlet.

As her birthday approached, Lilah informed me that she wanted cupcakes with blue frosting. While this description may not sound immediately appealing, I was determined to bake a dreamy cupcake to please the birthday girl and myself at the same time.

The cake recipe is from Pamela's site and it's damn good. If you are gluten-free or need to bake a treat for gluten-free friends on their birthday, give these cupcakes a try and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised and so will they. I guess you could even bring some to a holiday party - everyone is loving cupcakes these days.


GLUTEN-FREE YELLOW CUPCAKES
  • 2 cups Pamela's Pancake and Baking Mix
  • 1/2 stick butter, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon almond extract

Preheat oven to 350.

Separate egg yokes from whites. Whip whites with a mixer until they form stiff peaks.

In a separate bowl blend butter, Pamela's mix, and sugar. Mix on medium speed for 1 minute. Then add 1/4 cup milk, vanilla and almond extracts. Again mix on medium for a minute. Then add remaining milk and egg yokes, and mix for one more minute. Finally, fold in stiffened egg whites.

Pour batter into cupcake papers until they are just over half full. Bake for about 20-25 minutes. Touch the centers to see if they spring back; if so, they are ready.



When I read about buttercream frosting recipes, they all seemed unnecessarily complicated for my needs. I remembered making a very simple frosting last year but couldn't recall where I had found the recipe, though I had a vague recollection it was from a old C & H box. Yep, there is was. We are talking old-school: well, I guess that is the point with cupcakes and frosting. Here's my interpretation:

EASY BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
  • 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
  • 6 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • heavy cream
  • a few drops of food coloring, if desired

Cream together butter, sifted powdered sugar, and vanilla. Then slowly drizzle in cream (a few tablespoons perhaps) until you reach the perfect consistency. Add a few drops of food-coloring if you are so inclined.

When cupcakes have cooled, spread frosting over top of each one. Add sprinkles. Live a little. They are cupcakes, right?





makes approximately 18 cupcakes

10 comments:

  1. AnonymousMay 12, 2013

    I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR A CUPCAKE RECIPE ... A GOOD ONE. I have searched for two years... AND FINALLY, ON MOTHER'S DAY... i find this when i am throwing my daughter and her friend a little tye-dye and cupcake partY and realize Pamela's doesn't have a cupcake recipe on the back of their product. I wasn't expecting anything for mother's day but now i have the recipe/solution to ouchies (now) and broken hearts (later). Your recipe has made me a "sweeter mama." Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet note! A real treat for me on Mother's Day:)
      I hope you all enjoy the cupcakes - my kiddos love them!

      Delete
    2. It may not be on the back of the product, but this is the exact recipe as on pamelasproducts.com . Did you came up with it first? B/c if not, it would be nice if credit were given like "based on" Pamela's products recipe (or in this case... copied straight over from...)

      Delete
    3. Hi there, yes, the cupcake recipe is from Pamela's site. You'll note that I say that explicitly in the introduction with a link to Pamela's site. Giving credit where credit is due is SO important! Sorry you seemed to miss that in your reading.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the recipes. I have used pureed fruit to color frosting in the past, much nicer than the fake stuff and tastes better too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this recipe. I'm wondering how far in advance I can make these and how should they be stored?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For best results, I'd make and eat the cupcakes the same day.
      But the frosting can be made a few days ahead and then stored in the fridge in an airtight container.
      xo
      E

      Delete
  4. This was so good I made yesterday. My kids cannot stop talking about them :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These cupcakes were great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are so freaking DELICIOUS!!!!

    ReplyDelete

So good to hear from you... I appreciate each and every note you leave for me!

Thanks,
E