Flaky Pastry Dough (gluten-free)

This gluten-free dough is adapted from David Tanis' tart recipe on page 48 of Platter of Figs. * For those of you who do eat wheat, use 2 cups all purpose flour and 1/2 teaspoon of salt as a substitute for the Pamela's Bread and Flour blend

INGREDIENTS



Combine flour and butter in a large bowl. Use fingertips or pastry cutter to integrate until nice and crumbly, while still leaving larger pieces of butter to insure a flaky texture. Pour in egg/ice water mixture and knead dough for a minute or two until it comes together. It should be soft, a little sticky, and rough-looking.

Split dough into two rounds, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for at least an hour before using. When ready to use, roll out one ball of dough. Because I am a novice baker, I always use 2 pieces of parchment to roll out dough - this prevents sticking. (If the dough gets too sticky to handle at any point, just put it back in the fridge or freezer and it will firm up again. I did this after I rolled out the crust, but before I put it in the pan.)

This is the recipe I used for the shallot tart tatin. David Tanis uses this dough (with regular flour) for a gorgeous apple tart and says it is versatile enough to be used for many others, both sweet and savory.

makes enough dough for 2 tarts

4 comments:

  1. Hi, there seems to be a few different flour blends that Pamela has available, but none of them are called Pamela's Flour Blend that I can see. Which one would it be or what are the ingredients.
    Thanks,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carol, so sorry about the confusion. I use the "Bread Mix and Flour Blend" that Pamela makes. I love this product and use it as a substitute for most recipes when flour is called for. I hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pamela's Flour blend is great as all her products are consistent every time. Also try Sofella's blend too. I think you will like it. They are adding on to their gluten free line.www.Sofella.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Olinda, thanks for the tip!! I will definitely give Sofella's products a try when we get back to California:)
    Warmest regards to you,
    E

    ReplyDelete

So good to hear from you... I appreciate each and every note you leave for me!

Thanks,
E