Butternut Squash roasted with Sage and Coconut


Peering into my Riverdog Farm box, I discovered a butternut squash and some luscious kale. I decided to make a stew featuring these two ingredients. (I will post that recipe soon.) After making my stew, I found myself with half of a butternut squash all prepped with nowhere to go. One could say this improvised recipe was an afterthought or a bi-product of the stew, but I think its delicious simplicity is worth sharing with you.



INGREDIENTS
  • 1/2 butternut squash (about 2 cups), cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons raw organic coconut oil
  • 1 dozen sage leaves
  • sea salt




Preheat oven to 425. Gently melt coconut oil. Spread out squash pieces in a roasting pan. Toss squash with melted coconut oil. Generously salt. (Do not crowd squash pieces - this will insure a good caramelizing.) Place in hot oven. Give the pan a shake every 5 minutes or so. When squash is almost finished cooking and is becoming nicely caramelized, add the sage and toss all ingredients to integrate sage and coat the leaves in coconut oil. Return pan to the oven and roast for a few more minutes until sage leaves are crispy but not burnt. Season with additional salt, if necessary. Serve and enjoy!


.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, thanks for posting this :) How long-about-should you cook the squash? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anonymous,
    Cooking time will depend on how small you decide to cut your squash pieces. Small pieces will only take 15 minutes or so, and larger pieces could take up to 30 minutes. I recommend the fork trick.... give the squash a poke. If it's tender, it's done. I hope this helps:)
    Happy cooking,
    E

    ReplyDelete

So good to hear from you... I appreciate each and every note you leave for me!

Thanks,
E