Mustard Greens wrapped in Prosciutto



Honestly, I am kinda lazy when it comes to appetizers. When friends come for dinner, roasted nuts, olives, and maybe a raw veggie or two are our standard finger foods. I decided to try something new and thanks (once again) to Alice Waters I have added another starter to my repertoire - won't our friends be happy.

Looking at our garden lush with winter greens, I was inspired to find a tasty recipe that would put some greens to good use in a new way. For supper, almost daily, we go out back and snip some chard, kale, or mustard and prepare the greens by steaming, stir-frying, roasting, and sauteing.  I am particularly loving the so-deep-purple-they-are-almost-black mustard greens with their vibrant chartreuse stalks. They have the kick of flavor that most mustard has and their greens are so tender they only need a light cooking.




INGREDIENTS
from Alice Water's Chez Panisse Vegetables

  • 2 bunches of mustard greens (young kale, chard, or other winter greens would work as well)
  • olive oil
  • red wine vinegar
  • red pepper flakes
  • garlic, 6 cloves finely chopped
  • salt and pepper
  • 1/4 pound thinly sliced prosciutto, about 12 slices


Wash greens, remove stems, and coarsely chop leaves. Leave some water droplets on the greens. In a large saute pan, heat enough olive oil to generously coat the bottom of the pan. Toss in garlic. Cook garlic for just a quick moment and then add the greens. Cook covered for about 5 minutes until the greens are wilted and tender. Set aside to cool. Season with a splash of red wine vinegar, a sprinkling of red pepper flakes, and fresh ground pepper. (Go easy on seasoning with salt - the prosciutto adds plenty.)

Slice each piece of prosciutto in half lengthwise. Place a spoonful of greens on one end of the prosciutto and roll. Repeat. Serve at room temperature.

Enjoy!





makes 24 rolls

6 comments:

  1. These look absolutely delicious! I love quick and simple appetizers like this.
    Sadly, it's still too cold to plant anything up here in Canada, but I'm thinking I might comb the produce aisle to see if I can find a tasty alternative... maybe rapini?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah! I should try this with my niece. She won't eat anything green except for pesto. But she does like her pork products. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anything wrapped in prosciutto tastes and looks delicious....I'm sure your guests will love and appreciate this new appetizer. Looks good and so simple to make. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isabelle, rapini would be delicious, and chard would work as a substitute for the mustard.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so good. Such a great idea! I love easy appetizers that don't involve bread and cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  6. AnonymousJune 24, 2010

    this is awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete

So good to hear from you... I appreciate each and every note you leave for me!

Thanks,
E