3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies


After all that hard working shucking fava beans for my last recipe, we deserve a quick and easy cooking project. Well here it is.

I wish I could take credit for coming up with this extremely simple recipe, but I can't. For some time I have heard rumors about a cookie that requires only three ingredients - peanut butter, sugar, and egg. With such delectable ingredients how can the recipe be bad? These moist little cookies taste kinda like the inside of a Reece's Peanut Butter Cup.

Of course, I had to play around with the recipe a bit and I welcome you to do the same. Using crunchy peanut butter brought great texture to the cookies and the vanilla sugar was a nice addition. Plus, we enjoyed the cookies most when I reduced the sugar. You can also add chocolate chips, though we didn't find them necessary. True, my recipe is no longer as perfectly simple as the original, but hey it's fun to play in the kitchen.



BASIC RECIPE INGREDIENTS
original recipe creator unknown
  • 1 cup peanut butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 egg, gently beaten

YUMMY SUPPER VARIATION
  • 1 cup crunchy organic peanut butter
  • 2/3 cup organic vanilla sugar (see notes in this recipe)
  • 1 farm egg, gently beaten
  • optional: 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips 

Preheat oven to 350.

Mix peanut butter, sugar, and egg until well-integrated. (Fold in chocolate chips, if you want them.) Scoop dollops of dough onto cookie sheet.

Bake for 9 minutes. The cookies will still look a little undercooked. Let them rest on the pan for 10 minutes and they will start to firm up. Then slide the cookies onto a rack to finish cooling.

That's it!

19 comments:

  1. I've visited your blog a few times and always find your recipes so lovely. They're easy and interesting. And your pictures are gorgeous. I've made peanut butter cookies like this before and was really pleasantly surprised at how amazing they were. I like your variation ideas. I added bacon to them once and thought they were to die for. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love simplicity of this recipe...easy and delicious, that's my kind of food.
    I rewarded myself with some yummy desert after preparing favas too. Well deserved! I thought... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adrianna, thanks for stopping by and for the kind words. Bacon, eh? Sounds interesting and I am a huge bacon fan!

    M, glad to hear you treated yourself after all that fava labor. So much work!!! This BP Cookie recipe is much more my (lazy) style too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm such a sucker for a lovely photo of a big pile of cookies. yum. dashi and i are going to make these for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the new bowl of cherries !

    ReplyDelete
  6. AnonymousMay 20, 2010

    FYI
    I have made this recipe with Splenda and gluten free flour and it works. You would only make these subsitutions for those family memember who have these dietary needs-otherwise stick with the original its the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love your post and the idea of vanilla sugar. i might have to try that. my mom and i have always made the 3 ingredient recipe but we only use a 1/2 c. sugar. however, i have tried a few options. natural pb and splenda make the cookies very dry and crumbly, not the best option. my newest favorite is to use 1/2 cup skippy (or similar) and 1/2 cup Adam's natural crunchy p.b., 1/2 cup sugar and one egg.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Peanut butter is one of my most favorite foods ever - but I've never tried these cookies before. I will definitely need to try this recipe. Might dip mine in chocolate for more of a reese's pb cup effect. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heyy! Just found your blog! That recipe is so easy and the cookies look amazing! I will have to try it! I am new to your blog and am enjoying it! You now have a new follower!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. For a little extra heaven, add some cinnamon and some ancho chile powder. You heard me. Do it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey all, I love the suggested variations on this recipe.

    Bek, I bet 1/2 cup sugar is a good way to go. With the deliciousness of peanut butter, who needs too much sugar. I even wonder about using honey. I think that could be really good.

    Mary, dipping in chocolate.... yum! Must try that one.

    Kel, the spicy additions sounds great. Thanks for the ideas.

    And Fashion Meets Food, thanks for stopping by. Fashion and food - two of my favorite things:)

    Happy Weekend to all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Are these your photos? You do a great job with pics :)

    That recipe sounds sooooo yummy....and easy! And has a good bit of protein to boot.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for stopping by Kim! Yep, all the photos on Yummy Supper are mine. I have so much fun cooking, eating, and photographing food.
    Cheers:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. They sure are yummi! and the idea of reducing sugar is worth a try

    ReplyDelete
  16. having a small holiday party where i live i discovered saltines cracker toffee that came out great was gonna make homemade goodie bags think these would be the perfect addition thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Erin, I made these cookies about a year ago and forgot to leave you a note saying how much I LOVED these! I am a huge fan of peanut butter cookies but these were to die for! Yum yum yum! Thank you so much!
    Love from Alissa

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Vanilla Sugar post isn’t there anymore. :( This looks like a great recipe to try, especially for my GF friends!

    ReplyDelete

So good to hear from you... I appreciate each and every note you leave for me!

Thanks,
E