BREAKFAST AT BATHER'S


This is my last installment about eating our way through Australia. We have made it to New Zealand now and we have a kitchen again... we're cooking up a storm and I promise new recipes are on their way. We even foraged for our own mussels the other day. It feels great to be cooking for ourselves again!

I fell in love with Sydney 11 years ago - its warm mild weather, Caribbean blue waters, Victorian architecture, modern attitude, and great food.  The city felt like a culturally diverse meeting ground for the Pacific and South East Asia.  And that sparkly light....man oh man.



Back then, P and I were in our 20s. We stayed in a stylish little hotel in the then slightly seedy neighborhood of Darlinghurst. The area was packed with new vibrant restaurants. We ate like kings.

This time around, with two kids in tow, we settled into a comfortable apartment in posh and quiet Balmoral, a gorgeous ferry ride away from downtown. The neighborhood was picturesque with clean sandy beaches dotted with little sailboats and families strolling in the sun.

By chance, our little apartment was across the street from an institution in the Sydney culinary world. Bather’s Pavilion has been a player for the past 20 years; far from new or edgy, this spot serves up some gorgeous food with ease. Bathers was bustling with people, filled with sunshine, and the food was just right. In fact we ended up starting each of our 3 days in Sydney with breakfast at Bather’s making it emblematic of our family’s time in Sydney.


My favorite dish was the creamy white polenta (shown in the top photo) topped with fresh figs, poached ginger pears, and cream. I am dying to figure out their trick to achieving this perfectly smooth porridge. Anyone know Bather’s secret? If you do please share. I could eat it every day.

Update: I think I have figured out how to make the polenta. I hope to share with you all soon!

9 comments:

  1. i could just dive into that bowl of polenta. i'm thinking we should start eating polenta for breakfast with almonds and maple syrup. i'm craving variety. and fall has finally arrived. you guys are experiencing some nice weather, i would imagine. beautiful photos, as usual. you make me want to travel to all these places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phyllis, I agree. Now we just have to get our hands on some of that super fine white polenta. It was amazing.
    Yes it is Spring down South... Just went to the farmer's market and bought asparagus. Kinda disorientating: as the holidays approach my body is trained to craving hearty comfort foods but here all is fresh and green.
    Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love traveling through the lens of your camera, so beautiful! You've been taking great photos, really moody, reflecting the vibe of all those places you guys are lucky to see :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks M:) We do feel really lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have recently discovered your blog and love it - travel and food - the perfect combination!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where My Heart Is, thanks for the nice comment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are gorgeous photos! Found you via Tastespotting. I wanna eat that polenta :-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stephanie, thanks for the nice note! I was so in love with that polenta that I figured out how to make it for myself. I'll be posting the recipe in the next few days:)
    Cheers,
    E

    ReplyDelete
  9. amazing photos. the color in the first one is great. love how the fig pops.

    ReplyDelete

So good to hear from you... I appreciate each and every note you leave for me!

Thanks,
E