FRESH LIME FIZZ


What is it about Bali that makes us happy?  The tropical weather, colorful temples, family time, verdant landscape, open smiles, slowness. As I wrote a couple weeks ago, I am thinking of ways to take some of the magic of this trip home with us to Berkeley. Obviously we cannot take home the Balinese climate, amazing people, or their unique culture. But maybe the small joys of this place could work their way into our Berkeley lives, and into your kitchens as well!

On every menu in Bali, there is a list of fresh fruit drinks to choose from: papaya, watermelon, lime, pineapple, banana, lemon, etc... For Lilah, my 7 year old, these enticing drink menus even inspired her to really learn to read. All four of us guzzle down some kind of juicy concoction whenever we go out to eat. I try to avoid Sodas, filled with high fructose corn syrups and unpronounceable chemicals, but indulging in something cool, fresh, and homemade is a habit I would like to cultivate. We may not have ample tropical fruit available in Northern California, but we do have citrus, and plenty of it.

Almost daily, I have been making these Fresh Lime Fizzes for P, the kids, and myself. Seeing just how easy it is to whip up a "soda" at home makes me realize there is no excuse not to have citrus fizzes as a regular treat no matter where you are.

Wanting to keep these fizzes on the healthy side,  I tried them with honey instead of simple syrup. Paul liked the taste, but for me the flavor was a bit medicinal. I much prefer the simple syrup.

When we get home to Berkeley, I am going to get Otis' old fashion spritzer working so we can even make the sparkling water ourselves.



INGREDIENTS
(individual servings)
  • 2 tablespoons lime juice
  • 2 tablespoons simple syrup or liquid honey
  • 1- 1 1/2 cups sparkling water
  • lots of ice
  • lime wedge for serving

First, make simple syrup: combine 1/2 cup of sugar into 1/2 cup of water in a sauce pan over medium heat; warm until sugar is dissolved.  Set aside to cool. This should be plenty of simple syrup for 4 fizzes.

Squeeze lime juice, through a strainer, into a glass. Add simple syrup or liquid  honey. Stir to blend. Fill glass with ice cubes. Pour in sparking water to fill the glass. Stir again.

Sit back, sip, and relax.

Note: you can serve the fizz with a little pitcher of additional simple syrup on the side so that everyone can sweeten the drink to their liking.

13 comments:

  1. Yum - Lime Squash!!! I have enjoyed reading your blog since I found it a couple months ago. my family and I are also living in Indonesia - but waaaay over in Papua :-) My husband does humanitarian flying into the jungle in a small airplane. I am jealous of all the great ingredients and cooking you are enjoying in Bali!

    ReplyDelete
  2. junglewife, you guys must be having an AMAZING adventure! I've always wanted to go to Papua and I can't wait to check out your blog:)
    -E

    ReplyDelete
  3. We could use some cold refreshments today. A springtime heat spell will push temps up toward 90 today in Ventura. I'm not ready for the heat, but one of these fizzes will do me just fine!
    -Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so delicious and refreshing :) Perfect for lazy afternoons in the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet lime! On a trip to India a few years back I was amazed how this was all over the streets. And a salty version, too. Do they make a salty version in Bali? We were inspired and still make the sweet version frequently in Oakland(...with gin included, sometimes...). We've even (jokingly, maybe?) talked about opening a sweet lime cart at the farmer's market. But, it doesn't quite have the same allure to me when it's not 90+ degrees...

    Anyway, I like the idea of making it with honey. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lori, I can totally picture you enjoying a nice hot Ventura day with good cool drink! Cheers!

    Dee D. Thanks for stopping by:)

    eatlovedrink, A salty lime fizz.... so interesting. I have never imagined such a thing. Probably great for rehydration, right? If you guys open a sweet lime cart at the Farmer's Market, I am there!

    E

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simple and so refreshing! I'm cooler merely looking at your first photo! :)
    We'll be making this a lot this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so refreshing! I might try them with agave. I'm in love with the flavor of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Barbara and Adrianna:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Found your blog via this pic on Pinterest! WOW LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was remembering how Otis loved this drink after reading your post about mint ice cream.

    Lime is the best!!! I am looking forward to margaritas this summer once our rain stops.

    I love your pictures with the clean colors and beautiful lines!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Parece-me muito bom....
    vou testar!!!!


    abraços de MF

    ReplyDelete

So good to hear from you... I appreciate each and every note you leave for me!

Thanks,
E