HONEY-MASCARPONE FROZEN YOGURT


You know that feeling when you bring home a new cookbook and as you flip through the pages, you find yourself bookmarking recipe after recipe? To me that's the first sign of a great cookbook. Confirmation of greatness comes when the recipes deliver delicious results. Well, Yogurt Culture, by my buddy Cheryl Sternman Rule, is that kind of book. There are so many recipes I want to make, I've lost count. And every one I've tried has been simple and fantastic.

Yogurt Culture is about yogurt of course, but it goes way beyond what one might expect of yogurt recipes - yes there are wonderful lassis, smoothies and tatzikis, but with well over 100 recipes, Cheryl tempts us with Smokey Egglant-Tahini Dip, Coriander-Lime Grilled Chicken (our family loved it!) and Regal Creamy Beef Curry, just to name a few.

The first recipe I made from Yogurt Culture was this delectable Honey-Mascarpone Frozen Yogurt and I knew I had to share it with you. Cheryl's clever additions of mascarpone, lemon zest, olive oil, and vanilla bean elevate fro yo to a heavenly level of sophistication, yet the recipe couldn't be much easier to make. Cheryl suggests drizzling a bit of olive oil over the frozen yogurt and I readily second that notion. My favorite concoction is a kind of summer sundae -  Honey-Mascarpone Frozen Yogurt with slivers of donut peach, marcona almonds and that splash of olive oil. I think you'll love it too.


INGREDIENTS from Cheryl Sternman Rule's Yogurt Culture
  • 2 1/2 cups plain whole-milk yogurt
  • 1/2 cup (4 ounces) mascarpone
  • scant 1/3 cup honey
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
  • scrapped seeds from 1/2 plump vanilla bean
  • finely grated zest of one lemon
  • optional for serving: sliced peach or nectarine, salted-roasted marcona almonds, and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
In a large mixing bowl whisk together yogurt, mascarpone, honey, olive oil, vanilla, and lemon zest.

Pour mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. You can serve the frozen yogurt in this soft serve form, or transfer the frozen mixture to a small baking dish and place it in the freezer to harder further.

When you're ready to serve the frozen yogurt, take it out of the freezer 10-20 minutes before serving to allow the yogurt to soften a bit.

I suggest topping the frozen yogurt with peaches or nectarines, marcona almonds and a light drizzle of olive oil.






 Serves 4

35 comments:

  1. That ice cream looks and sounds delicious. A fabulous summer treat.

    This book sounds interesting.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosa, the book is really good. Cheryl is such a thoughtful recipe writer!
      Hope you're well, xo E

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing this book! I think I might get it after your wonderful review :-) You're right, this recipe is quite clever, and it had me at mascarpone! And your sundae concoction is just lovely ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristin, it's a great book. There are so many more recipes I'm itching to make!
    Xo
    E

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES!! This is such a cool idea! I love that drizzle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erin, you've done me and my work a huge honor by showcasing it in your captivating style, both in words and in images. Thank you sincerely for sharing my book with your community of readers! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, it is totally my pleasure. Your book is so thoughtful and packed with delicious recipes - it's a joy to share! I'm so looking forward to cooking my way through the entire book. Brava, my friend!
      xoxoxo
      E

      Delete
  6. One of my favourite summer treats is a bowl of vanilla ice cream with a drizzle of olive oil. This sounds like that but a hundred times more delicious. I've been neglecting my ice cream machine recently but I must make this at the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathryn, you will love the flavor combo... and that mascarpone add such depth and richness. Yum! Enjoy.
      xoxox
      E

      Delete
  7. The mascarpone paired with peaches, almonds, and olive oil sound like such a dazzling combo in this sundae. So lovely, Erin!

    ReplyDelete
  8. AnonymousJune 18, 2015

    This looks incredible...I would have never thought of this combination...thanks for sharing this delightful treat...now wish me luck with it! Happy feasting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so so easy to make. I'd wish you luck, but you won't need it;) xoxo

      Delete
  9. Olive oil on frozen yogurt? This has blown my mind! I can't wait to make this! Thank you for the review and recipe. This looks like a really lovely book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristie, I think you'd love the frozen yogurt and Cheryl's book! Xoxo E

      Delete
  10. Oh my gosh - what a terrific recipe! Loving all of the ingredients and so perfect for the impending summer season. Lovely photos as usual and hope all is going well with you! Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! I hope summer is being good to you so far:)
      xo
      E

      Delete
  11. That does sound heavenly -- and a perfect treat for summer. Plus, who can resist anything with mascarpone in it? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carolyn I couldn't agree more... Mascarpone is heaven! xoxo

      Delete
  12. I love yoghurt and I love ice cream so this is my kind of frozen treat! It looks gorgeous Erin, your photos are stunning. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Magda, this dish would be right at home with our favorite Greek food, don't you think? xoxo

      Delete
  13. YUM. Wow. Love the pictures and the recipe. I love that feeling of finding a great cookbook. It's the best!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Salty Marcona almonds sound so good with frozen yogurt and peaches! And, just when I could use a good afternoon snack. This sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Lisa! This would be an awesome afternoon snack on a hot day. Hope you're well! xoxo

      Delete
  15. OH NO FRO YO!! this looks delicious, and it really encapsulates what I imagine life in your part of the country to be like in the summertime... hanging out under a shady tree in the backyard, having a big dish of this... I was about to say listening to a sprinkler in the next yard over but then I remembered your water restriction issues... how is that going?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Summer is hot here in Madrid, and so I enjoy yogurt as a healthy and refreshing snack. Your Mascarpone yogurt looks super delicous, and definitely tops as a yummy treat on any sunny afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I had a similar experience with a new cookbook I was given for my birthday! I want to make everything!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the recipe, what a great book! Hope all is well with you! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's good. Like this recipe as well the book :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your recipes. Really wish you would return to posting! Anyway thanks for giving us such good recipes.
    chowringhee laxmi nagar menu

    ReplyDelete
  21. what all you are going for in that bowl matches the elegance of the ice cream construct. i am drooling. i really need to hold back on my ice cream bowl ingredientgreediness and take a page from your share. thank you big!

    fyi: we seem to be having problems pinning directly from here; i think pinterest accidentally listed your site as spam. just letting you know :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a nice and very helpful post I have enjoyed it from your blog and looking forward to see more from you.
    Thanks....!
    Phoenix Lights-End Of Summer

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the delicious yogurt recipe This sounds like that but a hundred times more delicious. I've been neglecting my ice cream machine recently but I must make this at the weekend!

    ReplyDelete

So good to hear from you... I appreciate each and every note you leave for me!

Thanks,
E