Candied orange peel



Last weekend, I refrained from the temptation to buy a lovely package of candied orange peels at Ici. Still, as I begin to dream of making Chocolate Pots de Crème, I can't stop thinking of how perfect the tangy, sugary peels would be on top. I was about to swing by and pick some up, but I remembered my commitment to cooking at home. Making these treats myself is nearly free and fun to add to my cooking repertoire.

Some investigation into homemade candied orange peels showed me it is not a hard task. I am going to serve these on the pots de crème and maybe I'll make another batch or two to give away over the holidays or to serve in a whiskey cocktail. (I really am not a whiskey drinker, but that does sound good, doesn't it?)


Ingredients
  • peel of 2-3 oranges
  • 1 1/3 cup granulated sugar

Peel orange skin in big strips (try to avoid peeling much pith). Heat small pot of water on stove and simmer peels for 5 minutes. Remove peels, drain water, and use a spoon to scrape pith from peels. Slice peels into 1/4 inch strips.

Heat 1 cup fresh water and 1 cup sugar over medium until sugar has dissolved. Add the peels to syrup. Cook at a gentle simmer for 20 minutes. Drain liquid. (I am going to make some homemade soda or cocktails with my leftover syrup.) Lay strips out on parchment.

Fill a shallow bowl with 1/3 cup sugar. Dredge each orange strip in the sugar to coat. Done.

Save candied orange peels in an airtight container.

1 comment:

  1. It has been too long since I have looked at the website! And thank goodness there is so little about turkey, stuffing and gravy! I love thanksgiving, but I am so glad to see sweets and soup.

    Bless you!

    ReplyDelete

So good to hear from you... I appreciate each and every note you leave for me!

Thanks,
E