Parsley Salad



We have a bumper crop of parsley. In our backyard garden, we never know which crops will thrive - with birds, snails, and various other pests nibbling on our plants, we have a lot of competition. Parsley is one herb that is always happy and grows in abundance. I have made many rounds of tabouli and have also passed along bunches of herbs to neighbors and friends. After hearing that a simple parsley salad is a fresh and satisfying dish, I took Alice Waters' suggestion and we were all very pleased. In fact my nine-year-old couldn't get enough. The salad is a great accompaniment to roast chicken or grilled fish.



For years, parsley was maligned as the default garnish lingering on the plate at every old-school restaurant. In fact, parsley is incredibly nutritious on its own, providing twice the Vitamin C of an orange and more iron than spinach. Parsley also aids in digestion and is an antioxidant.

Toss parsley leaves with olive oil, lemon juice, and a heap of Parmesan and it is anything but boring.




INGREDIENTS
recipe from Alice Waters' Chez Panisse Vegetables
  • one large bunch flat leaf Italian Parsley
  • Lemon
  • Olive Oil
  • Parmesan
  • Salt 
  • Pepper




Remove and wash parsley leaves. Make sure leaves are completely dry. Just before serving, drizzle with a little olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice. Toss with a generous amount of grated Parmesan. Season with salt and fresh ground pepper. Top salad with a few larger shaving of Parmasan and serve.

8 comments:

  1. you sold that parsley salad very well ;)
    I'm going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks M.
    Poor parsley, it doesn't usually get top billing, but it does make for a darned good salad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love parsley salad! Big fan, over here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love parsley, but never thought to make it a feature. That said, you've got me convinced... can't wait until mid-summer when our parsley plants in WI will be producing enough for a side dish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAH! Everyone laughed at me when I did this...well, who's laughing now? WHO IS LAUGHING NOW?!?!?!

    For those wondering if this is really tasty, it REALLY IS. I eat it almost exactly like this, but with some diced cucumber in it as well. It tastes like spring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all, I am glad you are ready to share the parsley love!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love parsley in my fruit salad bowls too - seems to ground the sweetness with more mineral content. Not thought about a salad though! I will now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Try adding some roasted chopped walnuts to it.

    ReplyDelete

So good to hear from you... I appreciate each and every note you leave for me!

Thanks,
E