Roasted Cauliflower with Pinenuts, Meyer Lemon, and Mint



Cauliflower has never been the first vegetable I'd choose for dinner. I am still a bit scarred by the childhood memory of all those raw veggie platters with dip - cauliflower was always the last veggie remaining. Because I consider myself to be a truly open-minded omnivore, I have been determined to give cauliflower another chance. I began to reconsider my ban, after planting some in our garden last fall and admiring the gorgeous flowering plant. For a year or so I have tried oven-roasting with plenty of olive oil and salt. Not bad.

I love to improvise with whatever ingredients I have on hand and that is how this dish came to be. If you are cauliflower-phobic as I was, this might just make you a convert.



INGREDIENTS
  • 1 large head cauliflower
  • olive oil
  • salt
  • 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
  • 2 dozen fresh mint leaves, chopped
  • juice of 2 lemons (Meyers if you have them, if you haven't noticed, I am obsessed!)
  • zest of one lemon

Preheat oven to 400. Chop cauliflower into bite-sized pieces. Put in roasting pan. Coat with olive oil and a few generous shakes of salt. Roast for 25-35 minutes.

To the cooked cauliflower, add 2 tablespoons more olive oil, plenty of lemon juice, zest, pine nuts, and mint. Salt to taste. Enjoy.

Serves 4

5 comments:

  1. Great vegetarian recipe! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roasted cauliflower is so unlike its watery, steamed cousin... I can't imagine why this wouldn't make a convert of just about anyone.

    Have never added mint to the mix, though. Nice. Will have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. stumbled onto your blog today and can't get enough. you've got a real eye for photography. any hints on settings you use, or other advice for someone who just got her first digital SLR?

    cheers and thanks,

    *heather*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather, Thanks so much for the compliments - I really appreciate it. I checked out your blog and you've got some really great photos yourself!
    My first suggestion would be to get a good quality macro lens for your camera, if you don't already have one. I use a Tamron 60mm fixed on my Cannon Eos T1i. I am amazed at what a joy it is to shoot food with this lens - it almost feels like cheating!
    Another thing that is a must to make food look appetizing, is to use natural light. Also, if your color tones aren't to your liking, try messing with the white balance settings.
    I am still learning myself and through dogged experimentation (and obscene amounts of shooting using every setting imaginable!) I end up with more and more good shots.
    Let me know if you have any other questions. I can never get tired of chatting about food and photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks E! I might just take you up on the offer to pick your brain more in the future... Off to putz with the new toy!

    Cheers,

    *Heather*

    ReplyDelete

So good to hear from you... I appreciate each and every note you leave for me!

Thanks,
E