Golden Beet Salad with Watercress, Fennel, Avocado, and Grapefruit



I wonder... who was the first one to try eating beets? The gnarled roots look inedible, creepy even, definitely not appetizing. When cooked, beets are transformed to vibrant, nutritious, sweetness. Today's salad is in honor of the simple deliciousness of beets.


Don't toss out your beet greens. I ate beets for years before discovering the tastiness of the greens. 








INGREDIENTS
  • Beets
  • Watercress
  • Fennel Bulb
  • Grapefruit
  • Avocado
  • Lemon Juice
  • Olive Oil
  • Sea Salt
  • Optional: feta, toasted walnuts


Here's our go-to preparation for beets. Place washed beet roots, with greens removed, in a baking dish. Fill with 1-2 inches of water. Cover pan with foil. Place in 400 degree oven for 45 minutes to an hour. When done, the beets should be tender when pierced with a paring knife.


Let beets cool until manageable, chop off the stem-end then use your fingers to easily remove rough outer skin. Now the beets are ready to be sliced or diced for your salad. We liberally toss beets into all sorts of salads and they are also wonderful on their own with a light vinaigrette.

For this salad, I picked some watercress from the garden, sliced up avocado and grapefruit, and used a mandolin to shave the fennel.  A light dousing of lemon juice, sea salt, and a drizzle of nice olive oil are all that is needed for a dressing; the varied ingredients of this salad are flavorful on their own and only need a light finishing touch.

Note: this salad can be made heartier by adding toasted walnuts and crumbled feta.

5 comments:

  1. I love beets, I can never refuse anything with them, soups, salads, tarts, pickles.....all so delicious....
    I also have to tell you E, that I'm really....really envious of your garden....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful salad! Perfect for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think grapefruit and watercress are an inspired pair. Add sweet beets and that full mouth fat feel of avocado to the mix and this is a salad to talk about! GREG

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Greg!
    I do love the combination of flavors and textures in this salad and I'm glad you do too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have become a HUGE fan of gold beets, and white ones and the pretty peppermint striped version as well. Last summer I bought so many beets from my favorite organic farmer at the market that he would see me approaching and reach for the best looking bunch on his table. I made a beet green pesto -fabulous!- and all manner of them roasted and with farro and shredded onto salads that really, by the time September came around I had grown quite tired of eating beets. But you can bet that my friend the farmer and I will be in the same summer dance when the markets come back.

    ReplyDelete

So good to hear from you... I appreciate each and every note you leave for me!

Thanks,
E