Momofuku's Crack Pie... Gluten Free?





The food world has been buzzing about this totally decadent dessert recipe from Momofuku's Milk Bar in New York. The name and the drool-worthy descriptions of the pie drew me in. I wondered, would it work without wheat? I can tell you, the answer is a resounding, YES.

I warn you that Crack Pie, with its gooey, butterscotchy, salty, caramely, butter-cookie goodness, is as addictive as its name suggests. P, the kids, and I got a little crazed with our Crack Pie jonze and we all found ourselves chanting, "More Crack Pie! More Crack Pie!"


MOMOFUKU CRACK PIE
from the Los Angeles Times


The LA Times recipe calls for two 9 or 10 inch pie pans. I couldn't quite stretch the crust to fill two pie pans, so I used one 9x13 inch ceramic baking dish instead.

First you need to make Cookies for the crust:

COOKIES 
Preheat oven to 375.

Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into medium mixing bowl.

In a larger bowl, or your standing mixer with the paddle attachment, beat sugar, brown sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add egg and beat until incorporated.

Continue mixing while slowly adding dry ingredients to the butter mixture. Then gently fold in oats.

Spread batter into a 9x13 inch baking dish. Bake until golden brown and set. About 20 minutes. Let cool on a rack. Then crumble cookie to use for the crust.



CRUST
  • Cookies (see above)
  • 1/4 cup butter ( I had to add another tablespoon of butter to make the crust stick together)
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt

Mix crumbled cookies, brown sugar, butter, and salt in a food processor. If you use a blender, do a few smaller batches by pulsing to grind until evenly blended. The mixture should hold together when squeezed between your fingers. Then press the crust into your pie tins/baking dish. Set aside.



FILLING
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup plus 1 teaspoon milk powder
  • 1 cup butter, melted
  • 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 8 ( yes 8!) egg yokes
  • powdered sugar for garnish

Preheat oven to 350.

In a large bowl, whisk sugar, brown sugar, salt and milk powder. Add melted butter, then whisk in heavy cream.

Add vanilla and whisk in egg yokes gently so you don't add too much air.

Pour filling into the pie shell(s).

Bake for 15 minutes. Then reduce heat to 325 and bake until the center is giggly (but not runny) and golden brown, about 10 more minutes. Remove and let cool on a rack.

The pastry chefs at Milk Bar refrigerate the pie until completely chilled before serving. I tried the pie cold and also slightly warm. I think I preferred warm. Either way.... dust with a little powdered sugar and you are in for a treat!

 Look at that gooey caramely center.... You're jonzing too aren't you?


17 comments:

  1. Oh wow, this looks divine! I wonder if I can get milk powder here, I'm not sure I've seen it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you can find dry milk. It is in the "baking" section of our markets here.
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I make this? Should I make this? I might eat the whole thing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julia, make it at your own risk because it is addictive.
    Now I am feeling the need to make another one myself. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been looking forward to trying the crust recipe for this pie - i think if the pie is too sweet the crust may work well with other fillings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, does this ever sound fabulous! I will definitely pass this version on to my GF dad and friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep seeing this Crack Pie everywhere.... if it's really as addictive as you say, it sounds like a recipe for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's a reason they call this crack... people like me can't get enough of that salty/sweet combo. Of course, your photos aren't helping the matter! So yum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh My. I've been able to pass by this pie the dozen or so times it's popped up on Tastespotting because of the gluten. But now....oh dear, I'm doomed. This one, I cannot resist! Thanks for the GF recipe and enticingly lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i keep waking up thinking about this pie. i must make it. btw, your header photo is gorgeous. it almost seems 3-dimensional. very cool. p

    ReplyDelete
  11. that looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. No way! You totally read my mind! I've been thinking of gluten freeing this baby for a while, shame I can't get those ready made flours here ;(

    ReplyDelete
  13. What do you think would happen if you just baked the cookie base and put the filling right on top of it without breaking it up and making a crumb crust out of it?
    Okay, I admit, I'm a very lazy kitchen slut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie, you crack me up! I am pretty lazy myself and I gotta say, breaking up the cookie base just takes a minute or so. I think it's worth it for the texture:)
      xo
      E

      Delete
  14. Is there a way to pin your recipes on Pinterest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi tladen, if you're interested in pinning my images you should find the "pin" button if you hover over an image.
      Thanks!
      Erin

      Delete
  15. AnonymousMay 18, 2018

    Australia has only discovered this following netflix "Cooks Table" episode profiling Christine Tosi. I noticed that you havent used freeze dried corn powder. Im sure it was still wonderful. Have x 2 pies cooling on bench right now. Maybe a little over cooked but the whole kitchen smells divine. Thank you for your post.

    ReplyDelete

So good to hear from you... I appreciate each and every note you leave for me!

Thanks,
E