RASPBERRY TEA CAKES


All over New Zealand and Australia, we encountered delicious pastries called Friands,  a descendant of the French financier.   I found a recipe to try, baked and ate batch after batch until they were just right.  Now, I am hooked on these moist almondy tea cakes. Yum!

In Nelson, New Zealand, we settled in for a longer stay, had a cute little kitchen, and I decided to take on more adventurous baking projects. Since my cooking life became free of wheat, I have been hesitant to start making my own flour mixes. I love to use ground nuts in baking and when a recipe calls for wheat flour, I have relied on Pamela’s brilliant flour blends as a substitute. Since we started traveling, I have been playing a bit with other flours. I have had some mean rice pancakes and throughout Asia, rice flour has been a good friend to me. In Nelson, I found a groovy little health food store with all sorts of bulk grains and flours. I picked up some millet flour because the flavor is so good and it is healthy as well.

Unlike many gluten-free baked goods, these tea cakes are fluffy and light in the centers thanks to the whipped egg whites. 

INGREDIENTS
adapted from Raspberry Friand Recipe in Donna Hay December 2010
  • 1 cup ground almonds
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 2/3 cup confectioners sugar
  • 5 lightly whisked egg whites, room temp
  • 1/4 cup millet flour
  • 1/2 cup white rice flour
  • (3/4 cup of cake flour can be substituted for the rice and millet flours)
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • raspberries, fresh or frozen will do


Preheat oven to 350.

Grease muffin tin. Set aside.

Bring eggs to room temperature.

In a large bowl, whisk egg whites until foamy, but not stiff.

In a separate bowl, sift baking powder, sugar and flours. Add ground almond to the dry ingredients. Stir.

Fold dry ingredients into egg whites.

Add melted butter. Stir to incorporate batter.

Pour batter into greased muffin tin and sprinkle a few raspberries over the tops.

Bake 25 minutes until golden.

makes 12

14 comments:

  1. you're not only cooking amazing things while traveling, you're also baking...and baking gluten-free....healthy, beautiful and colorful...

    really pretty photos...the first one is my favorite...so vibrant and inviting :)

    greetings
    M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks M! We devoured many batches of these goodies! Somehow baking in NZ just seemed right.
    Now we're in Bali without an oven for the next 5 months. Glad I got my baking in when I did:)
    Hope your New Year is good!
    -E

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just want to reach in and grab one of those tea cakes or a couple of those plump little raspberries!
    Last year when I was searching for uses for a bag of Meyer lemons I received, I found your blog. This week, I willingly accepted 2 deliveries of the little gems from friends. In my mind, you will forever be associated with Meyer lemons! Not too shabby!!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori, you made my day! I can't think of a better compliment than to be associated with Meyer Lemons!!!! I hope you enjoy your bounty.
    You are too kind,
    Fondly,
    E

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look delicious and they're so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If these are as delicious as they are lovely to look at, then I must try my gluten free hand at baking them. I'm curious as to why you use egg whites as opposed to the whole egg (or a combination)? What is the chemistry behind this choice?

    And thank you for your wonderful blog. I've been writing my gluten free blog for six years and love meeting new GF folks! (my current address is www.glutenfreediva.com). Much continued luck to you and I look forward to reading more about your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Ellen, I will definitely check out our blog. So nice to connect with other gluten-free cooks.
    Not sure what the chemistry is behind the success of the egg white in this recipe, but it seems like magic;) Must say, the chemistry of baking and especially of gluten free baking is a huge puzzle for me. I am learning more every day.
    Thanks again for stopping by.
    -E

    ReplyDelete
  8. You take fabulous photos! I like how I can look at them all I want and not have any of the calories!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can never, never get enough of friands, and my mother is wheat-intolerant, so all in all... thank you for this recipe! Love the use of millet flour :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cheap Chic Momma - thanks;)

    Hannah - the friands were a revelation for me. With so many possibilities... pears, figs, apples, berries of all sorts. Glad you liked the millet flour. Hope your mom enjoys:)

    -E

    ReplyDelete
  11. haiii .. I love your yummy blog ... I give an award ... please visit me ... :)

    http://sawo-kecik.blogspot.com/2011/01/stylish-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great photos! Plus the recipe looks divine. We'd love for you to share your recipe at dishfolio.com!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Someone mentioned FIGS...can figs be substituted for the rasberries or other fruits as well? Thanks...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, I'm not so sure that figs would be good here (though I do love figs in so many ways), but other fruit would work.... I actually have a version of this teacake with nectarines for my upcoming cookbook. A sliver of nectarine, peach, or pear would be delicious. Or you could use blackberries or strawberries in place on raspberries.
      Thanks!

      Delete

So good to hear from you... I appreciate each and every note you leave for me!

Thanks,
E