QUINOA SALAD WITH FAVAS AND PRESERVED LEMON


I am always looking for new ways to enjoy quinoa and I suspect this recipe will become a staple for us when favas are in season. If you don’t have access to favas, I think steamed, chopped asparagus or even spinach, would be a delicious substitute in this dish. Plus here's another use for those preserved lemons you might have made with me a while back.

Eating favas in the middle of California winter, I feel like a traitor to my friends at home. Here in New Zealand it is early Summer and favas ( aka “broad beans” ) are ready for harvest and impossible for me to resist. I stumbled on this recipe in Australia’s Gourmet Traveller (my new favorite food mag) and loved the mix of flavors. I ended up making a lot of changes to the original recipe until I was satisfied with the balance of fresh, creamy, lemony, flavors I craved. I served the salad to P and my mom - when they oohed and aahed, I figured I needed to share the recipe with you.

This salad can be a one-bowl-meal in itself or works as a substantial side dish for grilled fish or chicken.


INGREDIENTS
adapted from Matt Stone’s recipe in Gourmet Traveller September 2010
  • 1 1/2 cup quinoa
  • 2 pounds favas/broad beans, in their pods
  • 1/4-1/2 of a preserved lemon, flesh discarded, rinsed thoroughly, and chopped fine
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • juice from 1/2 lemon
  • add 1/4 cup soft creamy fresh goat cheese, crumbled
  • 1/2 cup mint leaves, roughly torn
  • 1/4 cup parsley, roughly torn
  • note: if preserved lemon is well integrated into the salad, then no need for more salt.

Prepare preserved lemon (be sure to adequately rinse the preserved lemon, otherwise the preserving salt will overpower the dish). Start by using 1/4 lemon at this point. You can always add more lemon to season the dish later. Mix with olive oil to blend the flavors. Set aside.

Fill a medium sauce pan with water. Set water to a boil on the stove top. ( This pot is for cooking the favas.)

Rinse quinoa several times. Then combine quinoa with 3 cups of water in a large sauce pan. Bring water to a boil. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed. Rinse with cold water. Let quinoa cool to room temp.

While quinoa is cooking, prepare favas. Remove beans from their pods. Parboil beans for 2 -3 minutes. Refresh in cold water. When favas are cool enough to handle, remove vibrant green beans from their skins. The prep for favas is a bit tedious, but well worth it.

Toss room temperature quinoa with olive oil, preserved lemon, and lemon juice. Add favas, parsley, and mix. Make sure everything is well integrated. Taste to make sure seasoning is balanced. Feel free to add a bit more lemon juice, olive oil, or preserved lemon if it suits you. Gently fold in bits of goat cheese.

Enjoy!



serves 2 as a main or 4 as a side dish

12 comments:

  1. Ohhhhh wow. This is right up my alley! It sounds so refreshing with the mint and lemon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks prettypearrecipe... You can't go wrong with mint and lemon, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum I'm digging this! Happy New Year and fun travels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this little peek of summer into my super cold home :)

    such a beautiful dish, so healthy and so delicious sounding,

    it's amazing how you mange to feed your family so well, even while traveling :)

    isn't Australian Gourmet Traveler amazing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where My Heart Is, thanks for the nice comment!

    M, not all meals on the road have been as good as this one;) But we do try!
    I do love Gourmet Traveller. I remember seeing you used one of their recipes last fall. I think they have a really fresh approach.
    Take care,

    -E

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am completey head over heels in love with quinoa! I served it recently with fish.....i boiled it & served it with pomegranate, coriander, lime, chopped red onion! Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. gbf, your quinoa sounds incredible!!!!That is a flavor combo I must try. Thanks so much for the inspiration!
    E

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous photo!!!! I really love anything Quinoa. My most recent invention is Quinoa Mac and Cheese with Spinach. I think you will like it - check it out http://cuceesprouts.com/2011/01/quinoa-mac-and-cheese-with-spinach/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cucee Sprouts - Thanks for stopping by. I checked out your quinoa post - looks so delicious! And I love your blog... beautiful and tasty!
    -E

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think this quinoa recipe is super delicious. I'm so excited to taste quinoa salad with favas and preserved lemon. Thank you very much for sharing this recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. AnonymousJuly 23, 2013

    I added some sumac to this (my new favourite spice!), and it livened this up further! I recommend it!

    Thanks for the recipe! Yum yum!

    ReplyDelete

So good to hear from you... I appreciate each and every note you leave for me!

Thanks,
E