Aunt Nita's Coconut Oatmeal Cookies





These cookies are magical.

Six years ago, the day after Lilah was born, Eurydice brought over a batch of these dreamy cookies. Paul, my mom, and I were baffled by their deliciousness. What is in these? We kept asking each other, as we ate cookie after cookie. They have an oat-y chewiness, yet grains of Turbinado give a sugary crunch.

Every time we bake these cookies, Paul shovels them in Cookie Monster-style and chants “Oh Aunt Nita” like a mad man. They are that good.

Eurydice is letting me share Aunt Nita’s recipe with you.

Ingredients
  • 2 cubes salted butter, room temp
  • 1 ½ cup Turbinado sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 ½ cup oatmeal (I use Bob’s Red Mill GF Rolled Oats)
  • 1 ½ cup flaked, unsweetened coconut
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts
  • 2 cups flour (I use 1 3/4 cup Pamela’s Pancake Baking and Pancake Mix )
  • 1 tsp baking powder (not necessary with Pamela''s Mix)
  • 1 tsp baking soda (not necessary with Pamela's Mix)
  • 1 tsp salt (not necessary with Pamela's Mix)


Preheat oven to 375.

Cream butter and sugar (I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to use Turbinado). Let sit 10 minutes.

Add eggs and vanilla to sugar/ butter mixture.

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Gluten-free folks, just use 1 3/4 cup Pamela’s Baking Mix as a substitute for all of these dry ingredients. Add flour mixture to wet mix, gradually stirring to gently incorporate ingredients.

Fold in oats, nuts, and coconut by hand.

Bake for 9-12 minutes, only until golden. Enjoy!

13 comments:

  1. I'd love to make these, but I'm not sure what "2 cubes" of butter means.

    Thank you!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Amy, each cube is 8 tablespoons or 1/2 cup. So this recipe needs 16 tablespoons or 1 cup of butter.
    I hope this helps. The cookies are wonderful - I hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are emphasizing Turbinado sugar - is this only in contrast to white sugar, or are you saying that Turbinado is better than brown sugar or Sucanat(evaporated cane juice)? We don't have Turbinado in the house, and I prefer to use less processed versions of sugar.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lisa, the original recipe is from my friend Eurydice's aunt and it calls specifically for turbinado. I think she calls for turbinado for a couple of reasons: first the crunch of the bigger sugar crystals adds great texture to the cookie; second, turbinado is less processed then white or brown sugar. I am sure you could go ahead and make the recipe with other sugars, but the texture and flavor will be a little different. I think Sucanat would be really interesting to try here. If you do try it, let me know what you think.
    Warm regards,
    E

    ReplyDelete
  5. I looove coconut, I always add it to oatmeal cookies. 1 1/2 cups seems sufficient to satisfy my coconut cravings ;) this is going in my 'need to bake' bookmarks folder now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am curious about the size of the cookies or how many it makes. K

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous, I am so sorry to say that I have never counted the cookies that this recipe makes. I do know it is a generous amount. And we have made both large and small cookies - about 2 inch in diameter is our standard. These cookies are so delish - I hope you enjoy!
    -E

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is "Pamela’s Pancake Baking and Pancake Mix" similar to Bisquick?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rachael,
    Yep Pamela's Pancake mix is like a gluten free bisquick. Pamela also has a "bread and flour blend" that is a nice gluten free flour substitution. I love her products!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Erin, these cookies are beyond magical, they are transformational! We are enjoying them so much. After being told by the Dr. to go gluten free, it was hard to not feel punished. Your website was a god send. The pictures were glorious and the food tasty! We'll be ordering your book. Please give Paul a warm CDM hello from Jim Reinhold! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sandra! So nice to hear from you! I'm thrilled you enjoyed the cookies. We adore them too.
    Can't wait to share all the goodies in my book too. Being GF isn't so bad;)
    I'll say hi to Paul too.
    Xo to you and your gang,
    E

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Erin, I made these today with my little one and her friend, using the recipe in the book. We used Pamela's Pancake mix- 2 cups- so no baking powder, baking soda, or salt, and a little less coconut.
    They are delicious, but a little too sweet for my taste. Any thoughts? I was afraid if I added more oats they'd end up too dry. Do you think just cutting the sugar a little would help? Thanks for any ideas!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dana, we are such fans of the cookies, that I've yet to play around and make adjustments to the recipe. You could think of adding just a tad less sugar. Did you use turbinado, by chance? I think a finer grain sugar would come off tasting even sweeter. Just a thought.
      Thanks so much for leaving me feedback. I look forward to hearing about your adjustments if you try any.
      xo
      E

      Delete

So good to hear from you... I appreciate each and every note you leave for me!

Thanks,
E